Vincent van Gogh is considered one of the most influential artists of the 19th century, known for his iconic post-Impressionist paintings that continue to captivate audiences worldwide.
But beyond his contributions to the art world, Van Gogh also left a legacy of insightful and inspiring words through his personal letters and diary entries.
His quotes touch on themes such as creativity, passion, perseverance, and the beauty of the natural world.
Despite his tragic life and struggles with mental health, Van Gogh's words continue to inspire generations of artists and individuals alike.
In this article, we will explore some of Vincent Van Gogh's most memorable quotes, and the powerful messages they convey about life, art, and the human experience.
Inspiring Quotes by Vincent Van Gogh
However, Van Gogh's legacy extends beyond his artistic achievements.
He was also a prolific writer, and his letters contain a wealth of wisdom and insight.
Here are some of Vincent Van Gogh's most inspiring quotes:
1. "I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote speaks to Van Gogh's deep passion for his art. He was always pushing himself to create something new and to express himself as honestly as possible.
2. "What is done in love is done well." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh believed that love was essential to all aspects of life, including creativity. He felt that creating art with love and passion was the key to creating something truly meaningful.
3. "If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote is a powerful reminder to follow your dreams and not let fear or self-doubt hold you back. Van Gogh himself struggled with self-doubt and mental illness, but he never gave up on his art.
4. "I dream my painting and I paint my dream." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh's paintings were often inspired by his dreams and his emotions. He believed that art was a way to capture the intangible and express it in a tangible way.
5. "I would rather die of passion than of boredom." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh lived a short but intense life, driven by his passion for art. He believed that life was meant to be lived to the fullest, and that pursuing your passions was the key to a fulfilling existence.
6. "I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote highlights Van Gogh's dedication to his craft and his willingness to push himself outside of his comfort zone in order to grow as an artist.
7. "Great things are done by a series of small things brought together." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote speaks to the idea that success is built on incremental progress and that each small step we take can lead us closer to achieving our goals.
8. "Normality is a paved road: it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh believed that embracing our quirks and differences is what makes life interesting and that following the crowd is not always the path to true fulfillment.
9. "I put my heart and soul into my work, and I have lost my mind in the process." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote highlights the intensity with which Van Gogh approached his art, often to the detriment of his own mental health.
10. "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?" - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh believed that taking risks and trying new things was essential to living a full and meaningful life.
11. "One must work and dare if one really wants to live." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh believed that hard work and courage were necessary to truly live and achieve one's goals.
12. "I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh believed that love was the ultimate inspiration for art and that loving others was the key to a fulfilling life.
13. "I am not an adventurer by choice but by fate." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote speaks to the challenges that Van Gogh faced in his life, including poverty, mental illness, and personal struggles.
14. "As we advance in life, it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote highlights the idea that challenges and struggles can help us grow stronger and more resilient.
15. "I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh was known for his stunning night scenes, which he felt captured the vibrant energy of the evening hours.
16. "I want to touch people with my art. I want them to say 'he feels deeply, he feels tenderly." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote speaks to Van Gogh's desire to connect with others through his art and to evoke strong emotions in his viewers.
17. "There is no blue without yellow and without orange." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh was known for his use of bold, bright colors, and he believed that each color had a unique and important role in creating a harmonious composition.
18. "Art is to console those who are broken by life." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh saw art as a powerful tool for healing and for helping people find solace in difficult times.
19. "There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people." - Vincent Van Gogh
This quote highlights the idea that love is at the heart of all art, and that creating something beautiful is a way of expressing one's love for the world.
20. "I wish they would take me as I am." - Vincent Van Gogh
Van Gogh struggled to find acceptance and recognition for his art during his lifetime, and this quote speaks to his desire to be appreciated for who he truly was.
Vincent Van Gogh's quotes offer insight not only into his art, but into his philosophy on life. They speak to the importance of passion, love, and following your dreams. His words continue to inspire artists and non-artists alike to this day.