Chasing after a dream, standing up against injustice, and staying true to your convictions takes courage, regardless of who you are.
Women, in particular, deserve recognition for their strength and perseverance as they advocate for themselves and strive for success in the face of adversity and differing beliefs. That's why we've compiled a list of 100 inspiring quotes for strong women.
Many women have faced limitations and stereotypes, but they have not let that hold them back. Instead, they have pushed through and achieved remarkable things. Some excel in sports, some fight for social change, and others find empowerment through difficult times.
No matter what personal circumstances a woman may face, one thing is certain: women are strong and resilient.
These quotes will serve as a source of motivation and inspiration for anyone looking to strengthen their own sense of self and capabilities. Whether you already see yourself as a strong woman or are just beginning to embrace your own strength, these quotes will empower you to keep pushing forward.
When To Use Inspirational Quotes For Strong Women
Some ideal moments to share one of our powerful women quotes with a loved one may include:
- When you need a boost of motivation and confidence to tackle a challenging task or goal.
- When you are feeling down and need a reminder of your strength and resilience.
- When you want to remind yourself and others of the importance of self-care and self-love.
- When you need inspiration to pursue your passions and dreams.
- When you want to remind yourself and others of the power of determination and perseverance.
- When you want to celebrate the accomplishments and successes of strong women in your life.
- When you want to remind yourself and others of the importance of standing up for what is right and fighting for equality.
- When you want to inspire and empower other women to be their best selves.
- When you want to remind yourself and others of the importance of self-belief and self-value.
- When you want to remind yourself and others of the importance of embracing change and growth.
Table of Contents
Powerful Women Quotes
The following statements demonstrate the undeniable power and strength of women. Are any of these quotes reminiscent of the influential women in your personal life? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
1. “Never apologize for being a powerful woman.” – Unknown
2. “The world needs strong women. Women who will lift and build others, who will love and be loved, women who live bravely, both tender and fierce, women of indomitable will.” – Amy Tenney
3. “Each time a woman stands up for herself, she stands up for all women.” –Maya Angelou
4. “A woman is the full circle. Within her is the power to create, nurture and transform.” – Diane Mariechild
5. “We need women at all levels, including the top, to change the dynamic, reshape the conversation, to make sure women’s voices are heard and heeded, not overlooked and ignored.” – Sheryl Sandberg
6. “A strong woman is a woman determined to do something others are determined not be done.” – Marge Piercy
7. “I figure, if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one.” – Calamity Jane
8. "Ignore the glass ceiling and do your work. If you’re focusing on the glass ceiling, focusing on what you don’t have, focusing on the limitations, then you will be limited." — Ava DuVernay
9. "There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is a third power stronger than both, that of women." — Malala Yousafzai
10. "A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it’s in hot water." — Eleanor Roosevelt
Strong Confident Woman Quotes
However, there may also be moments when you need a reminder of your inner strength and confidence as a woman.
These quotes serve as a source of inspiration and encouragement to remind you of your power.
11. “We need women who are so strong they can be gentle, so educated they can be humble, so fierce they can be compassionate, so passionate they can be rational, and so disciplined they can be free.” – Kavita Ramdas
12. “Strong women don’t play the victim. Don’t make themselves look pitiful and don’t point fingers. They stand and they deal.” – Mandy Hale
13. “I just love bossy women. I could be around them all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind learning.” – Amy Poehler
14. “A woman with a voice is by definition a strong woman. But the search to find that voice can be remarkably difficult.” – Melinda Gates
15. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.” – Marie Curie
Brave Women Quotes
Throughout history, there have been countless women who have displayed remarkable courage.
To honor their legacy, we have compiled a list of some of the most inspiring quotes by these strong women.
Take a look at our selection below and discover your own personal favorite.
16. “A strong woman stands up for herself. A stronger woman stands up for everybody else.” – Unknown
17. “And one day she discovered that she was fierce, and strong, and full of fire, and that not even she could hold herself back because her passion burned brighter than her fears.” – Mark Anthony
18. “She was a wild one; always stomping on eggshells that everyone else tip-toed on.” – Kaitlin Foster
19. “She was powerful not because she wasn’t scared but because she went on so strongly, despite the fear.” – Atticus
20. “One of the most courageous things you can do is identify yourself, know who you are, what you believe in and where you want to go.” – Sheila Murray Bethel
21. “Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.” – Helen Keller
22. “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
Positive Quotes For Women
These uplifting quotes for women can serve as a powerful reminder of their inner strength during tough times.
Whether you include them in a get well card or use them as a birthday gift, these quotes will hold great significance for any loved one in your life.
23. “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong, I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.” – Audrey Hepburn
24. “Women are like teabags. We don’t know our true strength until we are in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
25. “You must know that you can do this. You are strong. And you will make it. Just hang on and keep believing in yourself, always.” – Heather A. Stillufsen
26. “Everyone has inside of her a piece of good news. The good news is that you don’t know how great you can be, how much you can love, what you can accomplish, and what your potential is.” – Anne Frank
27. “A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars.” – Carly Simon
28. “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
29. “Always aim high, work hard, and care deeply about what you believe in. And, when you stumble, keep faith. And, when you’re knocked down, get right back up and never listen to anyone who says you can’t or shouldn’t go on.” – Hillary Rodham Clinton
The Best Quotes for Strong Women
2. "There are two powers in the world; one is the sword and the other is the pen. There is a third power stronger than both, that of women." — Malala Yousafzai
3. "A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong it is until it’s in hot water." — Eleanor Roosevelt
4. "Life is very interesting... in the end, some of your greatest pains, become your greatest strengths." — Drew Barrymore
5. "I had to remind myself of the truth of who I was and the reality that success wasn’t defined by a result but by faithfulness. I had to remember that my identity and healing weren’t dependent on the voices that surrounded me and that the truth wasn’t dependent on popular opinion or cultural responses. I had to focus on what was real and true. The straight line instead of the crooked." — Rachael Denhollander
6. "I can never be safe; I always try and go against the grain. As soon as I accomplish one thing, I just set a higher goal. That’s how I’ve gotten to where I am." — Beyoncé
7. "Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence." — Helen Keller
8. "I love hearing educated people speak and just shut everyone up. Knowledge is always the loudest voice." — Zendaya
9. "Perhaps some detours aren’t detours at all. Perhaps they are actually the path.” — Katherine Wolf
10. "Champions keep playing until they get it right.” — Billie Jean King
11. "Develop enough courage so that you can stand up for yourself and then stand up for somebody else." — Maya Angelou
12. "I’d rather regret the risks that didn’t work out than the chances I didn’t take at all.” — Simone Biles
13. “The one person who will never leave us, whom we will never lose, is ourself. Learning to love our female selves is where our search for love must begin.” — bell hooks
14. "I don't want to be better than you or her or him - I want to be better than I am right now." — Kerri Walsh
15. "If you don’t see a clear path for what you want, sometimes you have to make it yourself.” — Mindy Kaling
16. "Work hard every day. No matter what your strengths and weaknesses, there's no substitute for hard work." — Hope Solo
17. "I love challenging the status quo." — Sara Ramirez
18. "I can if I want to because it's my business." — Tabitha Brown
19. "Be courageous. Challenge orthodoxy. Stand up for what you believe in. When you are in your rocking chair talking to your grandchildren many years from now, be sure you have a good story to tell." — Amal Clooney
20. "True champions aren't always the ones that win, but those with the most guts." — Mia Hamm
21. "Being a strong woman is very important to me. But doing it all on my own is not.” — Reba McEntire
22. "We might not be able to change our circumstances, but we CAN change our attitude." — Beth Moore
23. " People have to go through things in order to become the person that they are today and that’s that." — Sarah Hyland
24. "I've always wanted to fight for people who didn't have arms. I've always wanted to speak up for people who don't have a voice. I've always wanted to protect people who couldn't protect themselves. It's my nature. It's my instinct." — Sophia Bush
25. "I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me." — Tracee Ellis Ross
26. "We’re here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark." — Whoopi Goldberg
27. "Because confidence is really trust in yourself, right? It has nothing to do with what someone else thinks of you; it's what you think of you." — Chrissy Metz
28. "Change takes courage." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
29. "What if the things that have caused the most hurt in your life became the birthplaces of your deepest passions?” — Jennie Allen
30. "A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.” — Rosalynn Carter
31. "It's about putting in the hours and going through the paces." — Shawn Johnson
32. "My best successes came on the heels of failures." — Barbara Corcoran
33. "The question isn't who's going to let me; it's who is going to stop me." — Ayn Rand
34. "Courage starts with showing up and letting ourselves be seen." —Brené Brown
35. "If you are afraid of failure, you don't deserve success." — Nastia Liukin
36. "If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader.” — Dolly Parton
37. "Hard days are the best because that's when champions are made." — Gabby Douglas
38. "I don't believe in putting on airs. I call it like I see it." — Ellen Pompeo
39. "Keep working even when no one is watching." — Alex Morgan
40. "It takes courage and strength to be empathetic, and I’m very proudly an empathetic and compassionate leader. I am trying to chart a different path, and that will attract criticism but I can only be true to myself and the form of leadership I believe in.” — Jacinda Ardern
41. “I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept.” — Angela Davis
42. "Joy is strength.” — Mother Teresa
43. "We still think of a powerful man as a born leader and a powerful woman as an anomaly." — Margaret Atwood
44. "I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall." — Serena Williams
45. "I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.” — Audrey Hepburn
46. "The important thing is to always ask the world to do some things. But sometimes they cannot be done, so you have to take a stab, and you have to do them." — Malala Yousafzai
47. "I am grateful for all those dark years, even though in retrospect they seem like a long, bitter prayer that was answered finally.” — Marilynne Robinson
48. "If you overthink things, the moment will pass you by." — Maya Moore
49. "Find the smartest people you can and surround yourself with them." — Marissa Meyer
A strong women quote
50. "I just want women to always feel in control. Because we're capable, we're so capable." — Nicki Minaj
51. "You draw your own box. You introduce yourself as who you are. . . . You create the identity you want for yourself." — Meghan Markle
52. "Anger is not inherently destructive. My anger can be a force for good. My anger can be creative and imaginative, seeing a better world that doesn’t yet exist. It can fuel a righteous movement toward justice and freedom.” — Austin Channing Brown
53. "Love is not a weak, spineless emotion; it is a powerful moral force on the side of justice." — Bernice King
54. "There is power in seeing a face that looks like yours do something, be someone. There is power in moving from the sidelines to the center." — Jenny Han
55. "We need women who are so strong they can be gentle, so educated they can be humble, so fierce they can be compassionate, so passionate they can be rational, and so disciplined they can be free.” — Kavita Ramdas
56. "We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated." — Maya Angelou
57. "I know my worth. I embrace my power. I say if I'm beautiful. I say if I'm strong. You will not determine my story. I will." — Amy Schumer
58. "The majority of the things that I do, I'm actually afraid to do, but you just have to have a positive attitude and block out any fears that you have." — Aly Raisman
59. "Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." — Helen Keller
60. "Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.” — Julie Andrews
61. "Don't look at the big picture as the only achievement. Start with set, smart goals and work up to something bigger." — Jordyn Wieber
62. "Some people say I have attitude - maybe I do... but I think you have to. You have to believe in yourself when no one else does - that makes you a winner right there." — Venus Williams
63. "I encourage women to step up. Don’t wait for somebody to ask you." — Reese Witherspoon
64. "You have to rely on your support system. Growing up, I always thought it was a sign of weakness to ask for help, but now I realize it's really a sign of strength to say, 'I need help, I can't do it all.'" — Kerri Walsh
65. "Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely, and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next. We can choose to be afraid of it. Just stand there trembling, not moving. Assuming the worst that can happen. Or we step forward into the unknown, and assume it will be brilliant." — Sandra Oh
66. “Don’t settle for average. Bring your best to the moment. Then, whether it fails or succeeds, at least you know you gave all you had. We need to live the best that’s in us.” — Angela Bassett
67. "Power isn't control at all—power is strength, and giving that strength to others. A leader isn't someone who forces others to make him stronger; a leader is someone willing to give his strength to others that they may have the strength to stand on their own." — Beth Revis
68. "Learn to embrace your own unique beauty, celebrate your unique gifts with confidence. Your imperfections are actually a gift." — Kerry Washington
69. "There’s nothing wrong with a woman being comfortable, confident." — Selena Gomez
70. "Be bold, be courageous, be your best." — Gabrielle Giffords
71. "Just remember, you can do anything you set your mind to, but it takes action, perseverance, and facing your fears.” — Gillian Anderson
72. "If we cultivate compassion for those who have hurt us, we have the possibility of overcoming our anger, pain, and fear. Compassion is a great medicine.” — Goldie Hawn
73. "If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.” — Margaret Thatcher
74. "Anyone can hide. Facing up to things, working through them, that’s what makes you strong.” — Sarah Dessen
75. "Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts. That's what little girls are made of; the heck with sugar and spice." — Bethany Hamilton
76. "Enjoy life, study hard, play hard, be kind to other people, set high standards, and don't be afraid to say 'No.'" — Nia Long
77. "Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead twenty years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then.” — Diana Ross
78. "You can't always control the circumstances - only how you react to those circumstances; you can always control your attitude and your effort." — Jennie Finch
79. "“I don’t go by the rule book. I lead from the heart, not the head.” —Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales
80. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” — Margaret Mead